Hi, and welcome to a new post! Do you find yourself suffering from procrastination, even when you KNOW the task must get done? Well in today’s post Kennedy will teach you simple ways to defeat your procrastination!
I thought it was time we start introducing guests to Katie Mariah. It’s just as important to listen and connect with others. So, guest posts are the perfect way to get a new and unique perspective on the blog! Today we have Katie Mariah’s first-ever guest and fellow blogger, Kennedy Edwards. She is a lifestyle blogger dedicated to helping young Black women lead healthy, empowered lifestyles! Please read her introduction below.
Hello to Katie Mariah’s audience! My name is Kennedy Edwards and I’m the creator and lifestyle blogger for Kennedy’s Kharisma. My mission is to connect with black women in their twenties and elevate them to have balanced and self-motivated lifestyles. I focus on topics about career/finances, beauty, wellness and give updates on positive black news!
Have you ever been told about an assignment and waited until the day before it was due to start? The task wasn’t hard but you told yourself, “I’ll do it later”. Now you’re forced to rush your thinking process, stress and have a greater chance of getting a bad grade. This action is defined as procrastination and like you, I’ve done it plenty of times! For as long as I can remember, I would put off important tasks causing me to lack in areas where I was well equipped. One day I snapped out of that low energy mindset and realized that I’ll never get to the place I want to be if I kept lacking in productivity. If your goal is to be more successful, keep reading to see WHY we procrastinate and HOW we can start being more productive!
Why do we procrastinate?
The first reason we procrastinate is because we wait until the last minute. Simply put, we’re being lazy! We don’t feel like working on whatever it is during that exact time and figure it won’t hurt to get to it later.
The second reason is that we honestly forget. Unless I write something down in my planner or set an alarm in my phone, I’ll probably forget about it. We tend to make commitments, get busy and then it slips our mind.
The third reason is that we’re lacking the necessary focus needed for that task. If we have a goal and we’re not taking it seriously, it’s so easy to not care or put in the necessary effort.
Lastly, deep down inside we don’t think that we can do what’s being called of us and we’re afraid. It’s a subconscious feeling, but we naturally put off tasks that we already believe we can’t achieve.
Everyone struggles with these feelings and we have to ask ourselves, “Do I care about being successful?” Every person you look up to takes their life seriously. They don’t wait until the last minute to start a project or put off losing that extra 15 pounds or even buy a book just to read it 8 months later. They set high standards and challenge themselves to meet those goals ON TIME! So, how can WE start being more productive and achieve every goal in OUR LIFE?
What you can do!
- Be confident! You can do whatever it is you set your mind to (and sprinkle in lots of prayer). There is literally nothing in this world that you can’t do, especially if you’re passionate about it.
- Start things early! If you know that something is due next week, just start today. Don’t wait until a few days before (and definitely not the day before) it’s due. It’ll save you so much time and stress.
- Buy a planner! I personally love my handy dandy planner because it helps me schedule my time much better. I also suggest getting a planner with time increments so that you can be strict on your timing.
- Ask for help! Remember how I stated that sometimes we already think that we can’t do something and therefore, we blow it off? Just ask for help. Seek the answers before you assume that it’s impossible for you to do.
- Stick to your routine! While I’m telling you to stop procrastinating, I understand that we’re human. We may be having a horrible day and not want to work or on our cycle and not want to hit the gym. These slip ups should be seldom and shouldn’t be your everyday or weekly excuse. Stick to your desire to be successful and stop getting off track!
The End of Procrastination
Every time you procrastinate, you’re killing your productivity. You’re setting yourself back and hurting yourself in the end! I don’t know about you, but my mission in life is to help myself get to the level I want to be. If that means all I have to do is start something early and believe in myself then dammit, I’m going to do just that! Don’t wait until tomorrow, START TODAY!
I hope you enjoyed this lovely read! Please be sure to check out Kennedy on her social handles linked below!
Pinterest: KennedysKharisma | Black Girl Lifestyle Blog